GROWTHorizons Mental Wellness Service for Children emphasises on establishing children’s health in emotional and social development and provide diversified services for children in need with different modes of intervention and therefore enhancing their resilience to face challenges in growing up
1. To collaborate with schools and community partners to deliver
psychoeducation on mental wellness for students, parents and teachers
2. To identify children and teenagers at higher risk and deliver prevention
and early intervention work
3. To provide indivdualised and family-oriented intervention services for
children and teenagers who are experiencing emotional distress
1. Public Education
To organise various educational activities, including exhibitions, talks and workshops, to raise the awareness of parents and the public towards emotion wellness of children and to identify families in need.
2. Emotion Wellness Groups
Evidence-based intervention approach combined with story-telling, and elements of art forms are used in the groups. Children and teenagers can learn how to regulate their emotions and establish healthy habits and thereby minimize the negative impact of anxiety and emotional distress.
3. Parents Support
To support parents through support groups or workshops to enhance parental effectiveness and know-how to handle emotions of their children and teenagers. Content of groups includes: parenting skills, parent-child communication, mindfulness, and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
4. Individual and Family Counselling
To provide mental state assessment and counselling services for children/teenagers, parents or families, or make referral and collaboration with health and other professionals.
- Children and teenagers aged 6 – 18 with emotional/mental distress
Remarks: Center-based service is open for service users of all living districts; Service delivered to school and initial home visits is limited to service users in Kowloon, Hong Kong Island, and Kwai Tsing district)
Modalities of counseling
Play therapy allows children to express their feelings, explore themselves and reorganize past experience through an accepted and safe creative space, which promotes healthy socio-emotional development.
Family therapy is to facilitate systemic change of the family interactional patterns to improve emotional wellness of children.
Using a variety of art forms, including music, drama, dance and movement, and visual arts, to guide individuals or groups to explore and express their thoughts, emotions and choices in a free and accepted space and therefore establish a healthy self-image.
"Teen Spirit Classroom" Programme
For youth who are emotionally distressed and withdrawing from school, to support them in building their abilities in managing emotional distress and interpersonal relationship, so as to prevent aggravation of emotional health concerns due to lack of social interaction.
Youth aged 10 – 16 experiencing school refusal or suspension due to emotional distress;
- Emotional and Interpersonal Skills Training - Combination of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and art facilitation to allow service targets to transform distressing emotions, explore their previous interpersonal and emotional experiences and therefore seeking how to deal with themselves.
- Interest Experience - Through different activities, service targets can broaden their life experience and relax, as well as get to know themselves in breaking out of comfort zone
- Individual Follow-up Services - To provide case and family counselling services for participants who are preparing to join and already completed the programme
- Parent Support - To provide group counselling for parents of children who experience school refusal or suspension and therefore offering support for each other and understanding the handling methods
Contact and Enquiry
Address: 7/F, 36 Oi Kwan Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
Tel: 3413 1542
Fax: 3413 1676
Address: 1/F, 323 Shun Ning Road, Cheung Sha Wan
Tel: 2386 1717
Fax: 2386 1800